cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Vilya Harvey <vilya.har...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [cForms] Errors coming from service layer
Date Mon, 14 Mar 2005 14:36:01 GMT
Reinhard Poetz wrote:

> Thank you!
>
> This means that the service layer is aware of which widgets exist? I'm
> not sure if I (and especially my customer) likes this bi-directional
> dependency ...

I agree it's a bad idea for the service layer to know about the widgets.
In our case there's a fairly simple correspondence between error types
and widgets, so we're able to infer it all in the UI layer. For more
complicated cases I could imagine using some kind of mapping, along the
same sort of lines as the form bindings. I haven't tried that out, so I
don't know how well it would work in practice.

BTW, the code to set a validation error on a widget looks like:

var myWidget = form.lookupWidget("...");
var myError = new
Packages.org.apache.cocoon.forms.validation.ValidationError(myErrorMessage);
myWidget.setValidationError(myError);

(hope that doesn't get word-wrapped...)

Vil.