cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Vadim Gritsenko <va...@reverycodes.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Internal Pipelines Error Handling
Date Mon, 14 Mar 2005 13:04:05 GMT
Sylvain Wallez wrote:
> Vadim Gritsenko wrote:
>
>>     <map:pipeline internal-error-handling="true">
>

> Or even better, let's put this information on the handle-error statement
> itself, because it's really where it belongs:

Only problem I see with it is that it opens up a scenario:

<map:pipeline>
   <map:handle-errors when="internal">
   </map:handle-errors>
   <map:handle-errors when="external">
   </map:handle-errors>
</map:pipeline>

And I'm not sure we want to go there. Hence, attribute on the pipeline itself is
better, IMHO. It indicates that this is a feature of the pipeline (similar to
internal-only="true").

OTOH, using handle-errors attribute allows for:
<map:pipelines>
   <map:pipeline>
   </map:pipeline>
   <map:handle-errors when="always">
   </map:handle-errors>
</map:pipeline>

Which otherwise would require attribute on map:pipelines, if that feature is
needed at all.

>  <map:handle-errors when="external|internal|always">

Isn't <map:handle-errors when="internal"> FS? What would be the scenario for
having error handler for internal but not external requests?

>> When attribute is missing or set to false, error handling behaviour is
>> as it is currently. Limitation of current implementation of the
>> feature is that only one, the inner most one error handler will be
>> used for error handling. Implementation can be extended to support
>> hierarchical error handlers, but I followed KISS and YAGNI approaches.
>

> Internal requests have the problem that pipeline execution occurs out of
> the control of the sitemap engine. Does the above restriction apply to
> pipeline build-time or pipeline execution-time?

Yes, good catch. I implemented single error handler for pipeline processing
time. Pipeline assembly stage can use hierarchical handlers.

Vadim