cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Sylvain Wallez <sylv...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Internal Pipelines Error Handling
Date Mon, 14 Mar 2005 08:14:34 GMT
Vadim Gritsenko wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I'd implemented error handling for internal pipelines which allows to
> discard content generated by the internal pipeline and replace it
> instead with the content generated by the error-handler of the
> internal pipeline. This feature is activated only when pipeline has an
> attribute set:
>
>     <map:pipeline internal-error-handling="true">

This naming makes IMO more think to an added feature (yeah, that what it
is) rather than to an intrinsic feature of the sitemap engine (what it
should have been).

So what about <map:pipeline handle-errors="external|internal|all"> the
default being "external" as of today?

Or even better, let's put this information on the handle-error statement
itself, because it's really where it belongs:
  <map:handle-errors when="external|internal|always">

> When attribute is missing or set to false, error handling behaviour is
> as it is currently. Limitation of current implementation of the
> feature is that only one, the inner most one error handler will be
> used for error handling. Implementation can be extended to support
> hierarchical error handlers, but I followed KISS and YAGNI approaches.

Internal requests have the problem that pipeline execution occurs out of
the control of the sitemap engine. Does the above restriction apply to
pipeline build-time or pipeline execution-time?

> Because it's getting pretty close to the code freeze, I'd like to run
> this through the vote. So, please vote here:
>
>   [X] Let's include this feature into 2.1.7 release!

With a better naming and with a clear description of the current
limitations (and the fact that they may be removed in the future)

>   [  ] No, it can wait...
>
> And here:
>
>   [  ] Single error handler is just what we need.
>   [  ] No, it must support hierarchical error handling.
>
> And here is place for suggestions:
>
>   [X] I don't like attribute abive and propose following
>        configuration attribute and values: ...

See above !

>   [  ] I suggest ...

Sylvain