cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Sylvain Wallez <sylv...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Flowscript encoding weirdness and a solution
Date Sat, 12 Mar 2005 09:57:00 GMT
Bertrand Delacretaz wrote:

> Le 11 mars 05, à 21:42, Sylvain Wallez a écrit :
>
>> ....Or even a more javadoc-like
>>
>> // @encoding UTF-8...
>

> Looks good.
>
> Note that IIUC the same problem exists for java source files: unless
> the -encoding switch is used for javac, the default platform encoding
> is used to compile. Should we add it to our build targets?
>
> I haven't seen problems, but if you have a use case for encoded
> strings in flowscript it might apply to java source code as well.

Over time, I have written a small (but useful) library of flowscript
dialog functions inspired by javax.swing.JOptionPane. For example, I can
write:

if (Dialog.confirm("Item already exists. Overwrite it?")) {
    overwrite();
} else {
    cancel();
}

As you can see, the message is the one displayed to the user, and may
therefore contain accented letters in french. There's also a i18n-ized
version, but setting up a dictionary is overkill for quick
single-language demos and prototypes.

I never encountered this problem in Java classes as they're used as
logic components and therefore don't produce user-readable messages, and
also because encoding problems are solved at compilation time and not at
runtime.

Now with Javaflow+CompilingClassLoader, this problem is certainly likely
to arise. So this should probably be a setting of the CompilingClassloader.

Sylvain