cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Sylvain Wallez <sylv...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Adding cocoon.suicide() to the FOM API.
Date Fri, 11 Mar 2005 15:17:41 GMT
Bertrand Delacretaz wrote:

> Le 11 mars 05, à 15:18, Sylvain Wallez a écrit :
>
>> ...This is currently possible using "FOM_Cocoon.suicide()" which is
>> what is used internally by cocoon.sendPageAndWait (see
>> fom_system.js), and I would like to make this more visible by being
>> available as "cocoon.suicide()".
>

> It is not cocoon that is killed, it is the current flowscript, so why not
>
>  cocoon.killCurrentFlow()
>
> instead, to avoid confusion?
>
> "suicide" is marginally funny but not very explicit about what happens
> next ;-)

"suicide" comes from Scheme, where continuations were born, and
therefore may not be obvious to our "normal" users ;-)

Now rather than using the IMO verbose "killCurrentFlow", we could start
separating "cocoon" from "flow" as I suggested a while ago.

So what about the simple "flow.exit()"? I also though about
"flow.kill()" but it can convey the meaning of killing the current
continuation tree. There's also "flow.stop()" but it implies a possible
return which is not what we want.

We could also start providing flow.sendPage{AndWait}(),
flow.sendStatus(), flow.getComponent() etc... as direct links to their
cocoon.* counterpart and initiate the migration of their implementation
from FOM_Cocoon to a new FOM_Flow without backward incompatibility.

WDYT?

Sylvain