cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Reinhard Poetz <reinh...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [docs] "docs" Ant target
Date Wed, 09 Mar 2005 17:30:42 GMT
David Crossley wrote:
> I will not have much time to help with the docs re-organisation,
> but i will do what i can.

If you can help me to understand what the docs target does I'm more than happy :-)

> Here is a list of the changes that i have made to the forrestbot
> configuration.
>
> For those that didn't know about it, there is a demonstration
> Forrestbot which automatically builds the documentation every
> six hours. Cocoon committers can also trigger it manually.
> http://brutus.apache.org:36366/forrestbot-webapp/
>
> cocoon-block-portal
> -------------------
> This was called "cocoon-doco-portal" which used sources from
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/cocoon/whiteboard/doc-repos/portal-block
> Now it has been renamed to "cocoon-block-portal" and uses sources from
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/cocoon/trunk/src/blocks/portal/documentation
>
> Is each block going to have a separate forrest configuration?

The configurations will differ only in skinconf.xml - everything else, except
the content, will be the same.

> cocoon-doco-global
> ------------------
> This uses sources from
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/cocoon/whiteboard/doc-repos/global
> This is the new whiteboard docs for the top-level Cocoon website.

Upayavira is working on the migration - as soon as he is finished, we will move
them over to cocoon/site/src

> cocoon-site
> -----------
> This uses sources from
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/cocoon/site
> This is the current docs for the top-level Cocoon website.
>
> Is "cocoon-doco-global' supposed to replace this?

yes, see above

> cocoon-trunk
> ------------
> This was the documentation for trunk 2.2 docs. I don't want to remove
> the forrestbot configuration for this, because it was a huge effort to
> get it to build. We might need some of this configuration for the new
> "cocoon-2-2" docs when it is building the "userdocs" again.
> The forrestbot builds have been disabled.

ok

> cocoon-2-2
> ----------
> This was called "cocoon-doco-2-2" which used sources from
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/cocoon/whiteboard/doc-repos/2.2
> Now it has been renamed to "cocoon-2-2" and uses sources from
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/cocoon/trunk/src/documentation
> which replaced the original content.

ok

> --------------------------------
>
> People can still build each site locally (need forrest-0.6+ installed).
> e.g. cd trunk/src/blocks/portal/documentation; forrest
> e.g. cd trunk/src/documentation; forrest
>
> Reinhard, when you are back, we can try to fix the building of the
> "userdocs" and installing/jars.html in "cocoon-2-2" ...

back again, was skiing in the Alps (one of the few things in life, that makes
more fun than Cocoon ;-) )

Well, I'm trying to figure out, what to do with the docs that are built in a
pre-processing step or independently. So far I found:

  - Javadocs
  - Sitemap components docs
  - Jar files overview

Is this the complete list or am I missing something?

The question now is, how shall I implement this. I would write an Ant script
that does it this way:

- copy trunk/src/documentation over to trunk/build/templ-docs
- create sitemap component docs and put them into
   trunk/build/templ-docs/src/documentation/content/xdocs/userdocs
- create the JAR files document and copy it into the xdocs dir
- create the Javadocs and put them in the xdocs dir
- use the "exec" task to run forrest on the temporary directory and
   generate the docs

I think this shouldn't be too difficult. Does this sound reasonable?

The only thing that I have to figure out is how to integrate book.xml into
site.xml-driven pages. Does anybody know this or shall I ask on dev@forrest?

                                        web(log): http://www.poetz.cc