cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Carsten Ziegeler <>
Subject Re: [RT] A Unified Environment Model?
Date Tue, 08 Mar 2005 10:33:44 GMT
Daniel Fagerstrom wrote:
> Are you refering to the idea of having a configurable OM? I found it
> initially to be FS, but everybody else that was involved in the
> discussion wanted it, so I based my proposal on it. Carsten wanted it
> for giving access to some portal specific data for portal use whithout
> needing to have it everywhere else. Having a minimal OM could also make
> sense for making things cacheable.
In my opinion a configurable OM helps in developing web applications.
Imagine you have some global settings for your application that you want
to access in your pipeline, e.g. the contact email address (silly
example). With a configurable OM, you can make this configuration
available in flow and in your template by just configuring something in
cocoon.xconf (or whereever it is). I still think it's usefull.

On the other hand, I just added some hooks to my application framework
and now I'm able to do this using the framework... :)