cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Sylvain Wallez <sylv...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [RT] A Unified Environment Model?
Date Fri, 04 Mar 2005 09:10:05 GMT
Vadim Gritsenko wrote:

> Sylvain Wallez wrote:
>
>> Daniel Fagerstrom wrote:

>>> Don't think so (returning an Object does not to restrict things that
>>> much ;) ), but I haven't thought in detail about all modules, any
>>> examples where it wouldn't work?
>>

>> E.g. those modules that do some xpath extraction on XML data. But
>> maybe that isn't a problem if we consider my JS-as-the-only-EL
>> proposal as we could write 'xpath(om.xmlmodule, "/path/to/element[1]")'.
>

> IMHO, there is no point in such input modules anymore. All you need is
>
>   * JS and EL firendly object model with "object factories"
>     ("modules" is banned word)

Not sure object _factories_ is the right word either, as they don't
create the object, but give access to them (creation is a particular
case of giving access). Something like "object accessor" would be better.

>   * Support of the EL in the sitemap
>
> Once these two points are here, all existing input modules can be
> (deprecated and) removed. And all that they did can be then done in
> the sitemap with EL:
>
>   {/request/attributes/user}
>
> WDYT?

Kewl. This will bring to Cocoon both an improved consistency and an
improved expressiveness because of the genearlized EL.

Sylvain