cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Vadim Gritsenko <va...@reverycodes.com>
Subject Re: [RT] A Unified Environment Model?
Date Fri, 04 Mar 2005 04:27:28 GMT
Sylvain Wallez wrote:
> Daniel Fagerstrom wrote:
>
>> Sylvain Wallez wrote:
>>
>>> Isn't it too restrictive compared to the variety of what modules do?
>>

>> Don't think so (returning an Object does not to restrict things that
>> much ;) ), but I haven't thought in detail about all modules, any
>> examples where it wouldn't work?
>

> E.g. those modules that do some xpath extraction on XML data. But maybe
> that isn't a problem if we consider my JS-as-the-only-EL proposal as we
> could write 'xpath(om.xmlmodule, "/path/to/element[1]")'.

IMHO, there is no point in such input modules anymore. All you need is

   * JS and EL firendly object model with "object factories"
     ("modules" is banned word)

   * Support of the EL in the sitemap

Once these two points are here, all existing input modules can be (deprecated
and) removed. And all that they did can be then done in the sitemap with EL:

   {/request/attributes/user}

WDYT?

Vadim