cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Carsten Ziegeler <cziege...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [RT] A Unified Environment Model?
Date Thu, 03 Mar 2005 16:03:34 GMT
Ralph Goers wrote:
> What exactly is this interface buying us again?

I think you missunderstood the idea, so I will try to explain it:

Currently, the objects available in the object model are hard-coded, you
can get a request object, a response object and some more. So something like

objectModel.get(ObjectModelHelper.REQUEST_OBJECT)

works.

We don't want to change this! Or putting it in other words: accessing
information contained in the object model will not change - the user
side is not effected.

So why are we doing this? Because we see the need in dynamically putting
objects into the object model, so things like

objectModel.get("systemproperties") or objectModel.get("user") will work
. (This might be dumb examples, but I hope they get the idea across).

So the question we try to answer is: how does this information get into
the object model? And additionally we need a kind of a proxy here as
well - some information are available beans, but it might be possible
that other information needs some "calculation time" before it is
available. In these cases we only want to generate it, when it is accessed.

The basic idea is to have a component that delivers this information,
when it is accessed. In our example, we register two components named
"systemproperties" and "user" somewhere (this has to be defined) and
when you do a get("user") on the object model the corresponding
component fetches the user object from somewhere and returns it - this
is totally transparent to the client site.

HTH
Carsten
http://www.s-und-n.de
http://www.osoco.org/weblogs/rael/