cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Linden H van der (MI)" <H.vanderLin...@MI.unimaas.nl>
Subject RE: CONTRIBUTION: forms-calendar-styling defect when widget disabled
Date Thu, 17 Mar 2005 12:38:17 GMT
> Ok. He can add whatever attribute to his styling, the stylesheets are

True.

> built for this, but I don't want to see this "readonly" attribute
> handled in the stylesheets, as we have other mechanisms for
> this, namely widget states.

Agree, however, "readonly" is part of the HTML textarea specification.
IIRC there is a slight difference between "disabled" and "readonly". The
first one is addressed by widget states, the latter is not.

> It's important to use widget states for this not only for
> consistency,
> but also because non-active (i.e. disabled/output/hidden)
> widget states
> instruct the widget not to read its value from the request,
> which would otherwise reset their value.

Agree.

> I am still missing something?

Well... Reading the HTML textarea specs on "readonly" I get the
impression that it is not covered by any widget state. Of course there
is the "artistic freedom" to define your own states, but I think that
CForm widgets should at least be able to result in all possible HTML
state variations as they are defined.
Even more so when the general idea of CForms is to overcome the limits
of HTML form fields.

Just my 2 cents.

Bye, Helma