cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From David Crossley <cross...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Supported and unsupported blocks
Date Wed, 16 Mar 2005 23:19:11 GMT
Jeremy Quinn wrote:

> Don't get me wrong, I am happy you are being pro-active about this.
>
> However, I see several items on the "unsupported" list which are IMHO
> important components of Cocoon, or are blocks that I use regularly in
> my work. eg. chaperon, jms, naming, repository, webdav, xmldb (and
> others). In most cases, the fact that they do not currently have >2
> supporters does not effect their quality and usefulness.
>
> On reviewing this list again, I see several blocks that I have worked
> on that I probably should have put my name to, and I notice several
> blocks that I know people actively care about, that they have not put
> their name to.
>
> Maybe I misunderstand the purpose of having "supported" and
> "unsupported" blocks, but I would hate to useful work being sidelined
> by not attracting usage or new contributions.

Thanks for raising these issues. I wrote a similar mail but didn't
yet send it ...

I am concerned about the signals that this classification,
and listing of committers, sends for community-building.

Here are some random thoughts - sorry no time ...

Some blocks have no committers listed, e.g. midi, asciiart
However, they probably don't need much maintenance, so why would
they be listed as unsupported, or worse, moved offsite because it
appears that no-one cares.

I am not putting my name against any blocks, but that doesn't mean
that i won't help with them. Whenever i make some spare time
to attend to Bugzilla, i will work on patches for any block.

We try not to mention specific committers names. In fact, we voted
a while ago to remove author tags from code (but not yet done).
We really don't want to encourage the community to contact individuals.

--David