cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Tim Larson <...@keow.org>
Subject Re: Whiteboard Forms - Reusable form definitions (imports)
Date Tue, 08 Mar 2005 15:50:52 GMT
On Tue, Mar 08, 2005 at 12:15:48PM +0100, Reinhard Poetz wrote:
> Daniel Fagerstrom wrote:
>
> >Macros as reusable data types is OK in my (model view SoC
> >fundamentalistic ;) ) opinion.
>
> I wouldn't call them macros then :-)

Perhaps we should add more emphasis (via examples) on the wiki
page to show that the macro concept is also shared with the
bindings and templates, and not solely for form definitions.

Having a parallel syntax for all three concerns is very much on
purpose.  Usually (but not always) you will use parallel macros
in two or three of these areas, so I was striving for the concepts
and syntax to match to ease learning and use of macros.

> Just wanted to point out that your first
> >usesace could be attaced from a different POV.

And finally my comment on the specific example:  Full agreement
with Daniel that there are better approaches to the label problem.
(See my other email about default labels for my preference.)

That stated, I still want to create a macro extension facility
which would allow the extension to modify any aspects it inherits
from the base macro, including labels, validation logic, widget
names, adding and/or removing widget definitions, etc.  So I am
not shooting down the general idea of label replacement on macro
expansion, but just cautioning that it will not usually be the
most fitting solution.

Your other examples (credit card info with aggregate fields and
validation logic, etc. used across multiple forms) much better
showcase use cases for macros.

--Tim Larson