cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Joerg Heinicke <joerg.heini...@gmx.de>
Subject Re: [proposal] move cforms in core
Date Thu, 24 Feb 2005 11:53:41 GMT
Stefano Mazzocchi <stefano <at> apache.org> writes:

> > Just like other people, I think distinguishing "core blocks" is a good
> > thing to show people where to look at while still keeping the core small.
>
> I'm sorry, but I think the "core block" idea is plain wrong and smells
> of over componentization.
>
> If we *all* agree that something is required (which is what a 'core
> block' appears to be) then we should not allow people to live without it.

And the point is that CForms is just not required. As Peter pointed out many
people can live without it (we too at the moment).

> We need to have an answer to what "cocoon is" and what basic features it
> provides. Having everything optional is diluting our brand and making
> documentation and marketing harder.

I can't see why we should abandon the option to remove easily stuff somebody
does not need. The idea of documenting and delivering it with the core, but
storing it in an extra block, so anybody can remove it when needed, is the best
I can imagine. We still can brand Cocoon as web application framework.

Joerg