cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Jorg Heymans ...@domek.be>
Subject Re: [cForms] Weird behaviour with enctype="multipart/form-data" and enable-uploads=false
Date Mon, 07 Feb 2005 08:23:36 GMT

Reinhard Poetz wrote:
> Today I've noticed a weird behaviour when you set
> enctype="multipart/form-data" and forget to set the "enable-uploads"
> parameter in web.xml. The result is that all data that come with the
> request are lost and therefore not displayed any more.
>
> I would have expected some kind of exception like "you can't use
> enctype='multipart/form-data' if you don't set the parameter
> 'enable-uploads' in your web.xml to true. This would have helped me to
> save some time.

I got stung by this as well once. I actually expected the uploads to be
discarded but my form parameters to go through - that isn't how it works
though.

I don't understand how CocoonServlet.java loses the formparameters in
the first place, all it does is (around line 1020)

             if (this.enableUploads) {
                 request = requestFactory.getServletRequest(req);
             } else {
                 request = req;
             }

but maybe I didn't dig deep enough ...

> WDOT? Are there valid usecases of a set "enctype='multipart/form-data'"
> and enable-uploads=false in Cocoon Forms?
I can't think of any, but if it is HTML-legal to set
enctype='multipart/form-data' and *not* upload any files (or not even
define any <input type="file"> fields) then cocoon should support this.

Regards
Jorg (who has a vague deja-vu feeling about this thread)