cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Hunsberger <peter.hunsber...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Version $Id$ style for xml files (Was: SVN behaviour with "Id" keyword)
Date Wed, 02 Feb 2005 14:34:55 GMT
On Wed, 02 Feb 2005 14:39:49 +0100, Sylvain Wallez <sylvain@apache.org> wrote:
> Conal Tuohy wrote:
>
> >What about a processing instruction?
> ><?version $Id$?>
> >
> >This has the advantage over a comment that it can be retrieved unambiguously with
an XPath query:
> >"processing-instruction('version')"
> >

> Question is: do we need that? IMO no, as I don't see valid use cases for
> analyzing the version string of an XML document or XSL stylesheet at
> runtime in Cocoon.

How about on the management tools side? Something like generation of
reports on what versions of the config is currently being used (with
no code changes required).  Given that there's no real cost to using a
PI instead of a comment allowing for future use cases we haven't yet
come up with seems more forward thinking....

--
Peter Hunsberger