cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Bertrand Delacretaz <bdelacre...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Dependencies
Date Tue, 22 Feb 2005 12:34:47 GMT
Le 22 févr. 05, à 12:29, Mark Lowe a écrit :

>> ...What are the exact reasons you don't like a source
>> distribution?
>
> If I were working on my own then there's not a huge problem, but this
> isn't the case. There are several agencies involved and the usual
> political difficulties when changing things like build files and
> versions....

One very usable solution to this problem, until we have more packaged
distributions, is to exchange everything through a common CVS (or
subversion) repository where reproducible builds are created (this is
how we work here BTW, hint;-)

In my experience it hasn't been a problem to convince people (even
relatively non-technical ones) to do

   cvs update -dP .
   ./build.sh clean startthestuff

or run a script doing this to apply updates.

And once they see the huge benefits of CVS with respect to code
exchange and communications, and feel empowered to change stuff that
they need to change, they love it.

My 2 cents - we don't live in an ideal world yet but this *works*.

-Bertrand