cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Russell <pauljamesruss...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Dependencies
Date Mon, 14 Feb 2005 00:46:58 GMT
On Sun, 13 Feb 2005 19:26:44 -0500, Stefano Mazzocchi
<stefano@apache.org> wrote:
> Ralph Goers wrote:
> > I believe what you are suggesting would require that the Cocoon build be
> > converted to use Maven.  While I personally would welcome that, this has
> > been discussed before and for some reason several committers won't
> > support that. Sorry.
> I was the one pushing back for that. Since then I've taken a deep
> review of Maven and I like some of the archiectural concepts.
> So, saying "no way" is a little bit too much. I would welcome if
> somebody tried and did it and it worked.

I would tend to agree - I've used maven a little recently, despite
initially disliking it, and I have to say, it works. There are
significant chunks of it I still don't like (personally, I think it
needs significant re-design -- I'd prefer to see it built on top of a
proper plug-in architecture like Hivemind), but it does do the job
well, providing you use it for what it's designed for: building one
thing at a time. Try and use it the way you'd use Ant, and you're in
for a bumpy ride. Personally, I've started about 5 projects internally
using Maven in as many months, and none using raw Ant during the same
period.

> But I have no energy/time/will/itch-to-scratch to do it myself.

Same problem here :(

Paul