cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Glen Ezkovich <g...@hard-bop.com>
Subject Re: [proposal] move cforms in core
Date Fri, 25 Feb 2005 00:24:33 GMT

On Feb 24, 2005, at 7:21 AM, Antonio Gallardo wrote:

>>> small.
>>>
>>> I'm sorry, but I think the "core block" idea is plain wrong and
>>> smells
>>> of over componentization.

I'm not sure about this. See far below.

>>> If we *all* agree that something is required (which is what a 'core
>>> block' appears to be) then we should not allow people to live without
>>> it.

I think you're on to something here. But not much is essential to
"every deployment".

>> And the point is that CForms is just not required. As Peter pointed
>> out
>> many
>> people can live without it (we too at the moment).

What is required by every possible use of Cocoon?

>>> We need to have an answer to what "cocoon is" and what basic
>>> features it
>>> provides. Having everything optional is diluting our brand and making
>>> documentation and marketing harder.

Yes, but distributing a build with the basic features is different from
allowing users to remove the features they do not use. The key is to
make it easy to remove features or components.

>> I can't see why we should abandon the option to remove easily stuff
>> somebody
>> does not need. The idea of documenting and delivering it with the
>> core,
>> but
>> storing it in an extra block, so anybody can remove it when needed,
>> is the
>> best
>> I can imagine. We still can brand Cocoon as web application framework.
>
> First, I am in the same position as you. I will like a highly
> configurable
> cocoon. The presented analogy to the linux kernel was very good.
>
> What I can do only with the linux kernel?
> Answer: Nothing. The kernel alone is not useful to work. We need
> another
> packages (read cocoon blocks) to get a system useful for a user. Every
> Linux distribution contains hundreds of packages and the set of
> packages
> is what makes the OS interesting.

Exactly.

> In the same way, I will like to have the cocoon core with only the real
> basic machinery. Then the user will be able to choose the other blocks
> he
> needs to make the work done.

I think we have to look at this from multiple angles. We need to
consider dependency and we need to consider brand and distribution.
 From a dependency point of view we don't want anything that is stable
depending on anything less stable. To this end core should be extremely
stable. It should be as abstract as possible. That is it should include
only those interfaces, abstract classes and classes that are essential
for any Cocoon deployment. This would exclude all concrete
implementations of generators, transformers, serializers, actions and
flow. Core by itself is not very functional, but I think from a design
and conceptual view its important to make core the framework upon which
Cocoon applications are built.

 From a brand point of view it makes no sense to offer a framework with
no implementation. So of course the basic distribution needs to include
the basic generators, transformers, serializers, flows, CForms and
anything else the community decides is part of the essential Cocoon
distribution. This could be referred to as the core block. What gets
included in here is open to debate. Because some desire that Cocoon be
infinitely configurable, it might make sense that the core block be
composed of other blocks, say a basic generator/transformer/serializer
block, javaflow block, javascript flow block, CForms block (I see its
almost stable :-)), etc. Anything in the core block should be extremely
stable since these are the components users and developers are most
likely to depend on to build their application.

In short, lets shift the terminology a bit and consider core only the
basic framework and consider the essential elements of Cocoon the core
block. I think this makes sense now and especially when real blocks
finally arrive.

Glen Ezkovich
HardBop Consulting
glen at hard-bop.com