cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Pier Fumagalli <p...@betaversion.org>
Subject Re: Real blocks - What have we reached so far?
Date Tue, 15 Feb 2005 17:43:45 GMT
On 15 Feb 2005, at 07:03, Reinhard Poetz wrote:
> Pier Fumagalli wrote:
>> On 13 Feb 2005, at 15:39, Carsten Ziegeler wrote:
>>> There is one question we have to ask ourselves: what is the target
>>> release for real blocks? I think we agreed that it is *not* 2.2, so
>>> I'm not sure if we should introduce the blocks.xml in 2.2. I see the
>>> potential danger that this is a signal to introduce blocks in 2.2
>>> already and then this might delay a first release of 2.2 for a long
>>> time.
>> Nah, I wouldn't feel they're an appropriate target for 2.2.
>
> That is Carsten's and my opinion too.
>
>> IMVHO there's still a _lot_ to think about the structure of "real"
>> blocks and how that impacts cocoon....
>
> can you elaborate on "a _lot_"? I'm Just curious to get a sense of the
> to be expected workload :-)

Well, Stefano got me thinking on using URLs for block IDs (for
example), and to possibly integrate modules with the Maven repository
(which would be cool).

Then, one thing that Sylvain loves from PICO is the ability to have
parent and children containers (or, in other words to have a tree
structure of related containers), and the more I look at the current
code, the more it makes sense...

Now, the problem with the last small "detail" is that also the
configuration should be completely "tree based", and at this point (me
thinks) should be directly embedded in the sitemap, rather than having
some stuff in cocoon.xconf and some other in the sitemaps...

But in there there's something I don't quite smell as 100% right, and I
don't know why...

	Pier