cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Conal Tuohy" <Conal.Tu...@vuw.ac.nz>
Subject RE: Version $Id$ style for xml files (Was: SVN behaviour with "Id" keyword)
Date Wed, 02 Feb 2005 03:42:02 GMT
Tim Larson wrote:

> <snip/>
> >
> > What about a processing instruction?
> > <?version $Id$?>
> >
> > This has the advantage over a comment that it can be
> retrieved unambiguously with an XPath query:
> > "processing-instruction('version')"
>
> I like the ability to retrieve the Id info...not knowing
> much about processing instructions, will this produce
> valid processing instructions when the version control
> system expands $Id$?  This expands into lots of stuff:
> datestamp, filename, submitter, etc.

So long as it doesn't include the string "?>" it will be OK.

> Also, can this mess up any existing document processing?

It shouldn't. Most XML software should be happy to ignore processing instructions (unless
the pi is targeted at them), just like with comments.

In the SAX pipeline, the processing instructions are passed using a "processingInstruction"
method, so completely independently of startElement/endElement/characters/etc. Typically,
pipeline components will inherit a "processingInstruction" method from a superclass, which
will do nothing.

Cheers

Con