cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Gianugo Rabellino <gian...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [RT] Configuring Cocoon
Date Wed, 16 Feb 2005 20:32:53 GMT
On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 11:42:06 -0800, Ralph Goers
<Ralph.Goers@dslextreme.com> wrote:
> Carsten Ziegeler wrote:
>
> > a) Use of properties in all xconf files. If you write ${my.property}
> >    then this is replaced during loading of the xconf with the actual
> >    value of the property. - for compatibility, if there is no value
> >    for this property, the reference is left in place.
> >    There are different ways to specify properties as you will see soon,
> >    for now this is just a system property: so if you start Cocoon with
> >    -Dmy.property=something it gets replaced.
> >

> > So, WDYT?
> >
> I'd love this in 2.1.  This would really help with configuring pool
> sizes - especially if it could be done something like:
>
> pool-max="${max_users}*10"

Which is exactly what I'm afraid of. Instead than solving the real
issue (a painful configuration model), this looks like a workaround
easily leading to abuses. I'm not sure that adding a fourth
configuration point (web.xml, cocoon.xconf, logkit.xconf) is a good
long term solution. Even more if you consider how easily property
files, read from four different points, might bring unexpected
results, effectively making the configuration even more opaque.

You might get a similar yet much more predictable and controlled
result using off-line generation of configuration files from
templates: runtime expansions smells trouble to me.

Ciao,
--
Gianugo Rabellino
(blogging at http://www.rabellino.it/blog)