cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Glen Ezkovich <g...@hard-bop.com>
Subject Re: [RT] CTemplate
Date Sat, 26 Feb 2005 20:24:41 GMT

On Feb 26, 2005, at 11:33 AM, Ralph Goers wrote:

> Daniel Fagerstrom wrote:
>

>> We should also IMO remove the Java package mechanism from the
>> environment in CTemplate, i.e. the possibillity to do:
>>
>> ${java.util.HashMap()}
>>
> While I agree that good practice would be to not allow this, I would
> prefer that this behavior be configurable either when the component is
> declared or when it is used. It should not be allowed to be overridden
> in the template.  The default should be to not allow this.  The reason
> to allow this is that some users will always find some special case
> where this is needed, and not having the ability to do it will make
> their life miserable.

They will always find a special case where this is most expedient or
only solution they see because they don't realize that there are other
more appropriate solutions. Making this configurable just adds one more
complexity to the equation. I suggest that it be decided one way or the
other. If you want users to be able to hang themselves by writing Java
code in their templates if they choose, let them. If not, don't.

The idea of turning dangerous things on and off based on need is
attractive. In the end either this ability gets overlooked or there is
a great explosion and the world comes to an end. ;-)

Glen Ezkovich
HardBop Consulting
glen at hard-bop.com

A Proverb for Paranoids: