cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Sylvain Wallez <sylv...@apache.org>
Subject Re: JS versus Java [was Re: FOM inconsistency (was Re: [VOTE] Unrestricting
Date Sun, 27 Feb 2005 22:46:16 GMT
Christopher Oliver wrote:

<snip/>

>> Mmmh... you're right, there _wasn't_ such a property before my
>> changes. This explains the lengthy wrapping code that was in
>> FOM_Request that exposed only functions and no properties except the
>> request parameters (or attributes for session and context).
>>
>> Now this throws away one of the nice things that Rhino provides us
>> which is shorter dotted notation for JavaBean properties. And that's
>> what I find confusing: once someone has understood how Java objects
>> are mapped to JS objects, he needs next to forget this knowledge and
>> learn that request, session and context have to be used in a special
>> way.
>>
> JS objects can and do exist without directly "wrapping"  Java objects.
>
> If you had accepted the original design which made FOM_Request,
> FOM_Session, etc, first-class JS objects (i.e. _not_ "mapped" versions
> of the Java objects) then there isn't any special knowledge to "throw
> away".

Yes there is, because the reference objects in the case of FOM are the
*Java* objects. And these are the ones we use everywhere in Java code. I
may have not said the same thing for objects that have no commonly-used
Java counterpart (e.g. a WebContinuation), but this isn't the case here.

> Although it really doesn't matter much to me since I don't use Cocoon,
> it appears to me to be in the interest of the Cocoon community to
> reimplement the "unrestricting" of the FOM without using direct Rhino
> wrappers of o.a.c.environment.Request, etc Java interfaces.

Ok, thanks for you opinion.

Sylvain