cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Leszek Gawron <lgaw...@mobilebox.pl>
Subject Re: [Poll] JXTG vs. CForms
Date Sat, 26 Feb 2005 12:46:21 GMT
Daniel Fagerstrom wrote:
> Leszek is eager to remove all sorts of counter intuitive constructions
> from JXTG, which is good. Now the question is how we should do this.
>
> I propose that we (in the trunk):
>
> * As soon as we have done some more testing of the refactored JXTG (all
> help is welcome), we remove the original one and rename the refactored
> one to o.a.c.generation.JXTemplateGenerator. This should not introduce
> any incompabilities and we get better behaviour for non flow use, code
> that is easier to maintain and we shouldn't have two implementations of
> the same thing. It will take some time before the refactoring of the
> internal API stabilizes, but that should not affect the use of JXTG.
>
> * Freeze the development of JXTG (except for bug fixes) and keep it as
> is for back compatibility.
>
> * Do all new development in CTemplate,
> o.a.c.generation.CTemplateGenerator (or maybe just TemplateGenerator).
> In CTemplate we can remove things that we don't like anymore and add
> better constructions.
>
> The JXTG and CTemplate will share most of the code so it will not be
> much of a maintainance burden to have two different generators.
I like that. It will allow the users to test what we've already done
(keeping the compatibility) while we'll not be slowed down with out
template evolution/revolution.

Still there is one thing in trunk I do not like which breaks jxtg
compatibility. It is the removal of wrappers around request, session
etc. Because of that all users will be forced to change from
${cocoon.session.user.id} to ${cocoon.session.getAttribute('user').id}.
Took me 2 hours to upgrade the smallest project I have to cocoon trunk.
It will take at least few days to convert a project with 200+ templates.
I'm already scared of bugs that it will introduce.

The fact that new syntax sucks is the least of the problems.