cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Vadim Gritsenko <va...@reverycodes.com>
Subject Re: [proposal] move cforms in core
Date Wed, 23 Feb 2005 15:53:56 GMT
Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
> Sylvain Wallez wrote:
>
>> Just like other people, I think distinguishing "core blocks" is a good
>> thing to show people where to look at while still keeping the core small.
>

> I'm sorry, but I think the "core block" idea is plain wrong and smells
> of over componentization.
>
> If we *all* agree that something is required (which is what a 'core
> block' appears to be) then we should not allow people to live without it.
>
> We need to have an answer to what "cocoon is" and what basic features it
> provides. Having everything optional is diluting our brand and making
> documentation and marketing harder.

Linux kernel has floppy disk support, CD-ROM support, SCSI support - all
optional, together with lots of other optional stuff. Many will agree here that
CD-ROM is essential feature but always including it will make kernel larger than
needed for PDAs or phones. Almost similar situation with floppies: several years
ago it was essential for each and every computer (if not 3.5" then 5.25" or 8"),
but not every notebook had them, and now most desktops come without one.

CForms and CTemplate can be compared to floppy and cd-rom. Essential? Yes.
Necessary in each and every application? No. Does their optionality dilute Linux
brand? Hardly so.

Vadim