cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Giacomo Pati <giac...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Maven-based builds (was [heads-up] Block builder available)
Date Wed, 23 Feb 2005 10:58:43 GMT

Reinhard Poetz wrote:

> As you can see, my vision has nothing to do with Maven, Ant or any other
> build tool. Personally, I like Ant more because *I* understand it and I
> know exactly what it is doing. *My* personal experience is, that
> whenever I used Maven, I ran into problems and it took me ages to get
> things going. Probably my personal stupidity :-) Two other reason for me
> : Since Ant 1.6 reusability (import and macro) is possible (it's not
> true any more that you have to write your Ant scripts over and over
> again)

:-) And for sure you need to write it once and build an infrastructure
around it to enable all other project to use it etc., etc. So you are at
the same stage as with our current build system right now. Maven has
already solved lots of this by tons of plugins but I cannot see an
commonly available repository of Ant include/macro stuff.

> and that nearly everybody is able to read and write Ant himself.

Which is your personal oppinion. But this might be true just for the
more involved Cocoon developers.

> Hence I went for Ant. Writing an XSLT that transforms the block.xml into
> an Ant script wasn't very difficult and the best solution *for me*.
>
> If somebody can show a (better?/another) solution using Maven, we have a
> whiteboard. It can be used to setup the ideal environment for Maven and
> we can decide whether we think the required changes are good or not. The
> only requirement I have is, that block.xml should be used to drive the
> build but it was shown that this isn't a problem at all.

Well, actually the endless discussion about alternate build and
management tools made many of us just giving up and starting it in their
own little world instead of cooperatively developing such a system (so
this is my personal oppinion).

I should keep my mounth shut as this has the potential to starts another
long thread about it and I'm one of the tired guys discussing it over
and over again (but at times I cannot resist ;-), I'm sorry).

--
Giacomo Pati