cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Reinhard Poetz <reinh...@apache.org>
Subject [docs] Publication infrastructure and actions
Date Wed, 23 Feb 2005 07:53:06 GMT
David Crossley wrote:
> Reinhard Poetz wrote:
>
>>What does it need to get manual rsync calls working so that 2.2 and portal
>>docs are available at
>>
>>http://cocoon.apache.org/2.2/ and
>>http://cocoon.apache.org/blocks/portal/1.0/
>

> Rsync from where?

 From the machine that hosts our public available documentation

If you are talking about from brutus, then it would
> require hell to freeze over, i.e. never.
>
> Until that ASF Publishing proposal gains some attention, we are stuck
> with doing the current method of a committer doing manual commit of the
> html/pdf to the cocoon-site repository.
>
> You asked a question at the end of our recent IRC:
> ------
> (after reading http://forrest.apache.org/proposal-asf-publish.html)
> When our online-editing scenario is working, we can skip steps E-G, can't we?
> ------
>
> Well Step G is still required. The generated docs need to get to the
> publication point ready for rsync.
>
> Actually i see that the Cocoon online-editing and content approval,
> would happen prior to Step A.
>
> Step E and Step F are about ensuring that the generated result is ready
> for publication, so as far as i can see, they are still required.

Hmmm, this will spoil the online-editing experience

> See the notes at http://forrest.apache.org/proposal-asf-publish.html#notes
> Remember that the Proposal is distilling comments from discussions on
> infrastructure@a.o where people were adamant that there be human oversight
> at every step in the deployment process. Now you see why we have been so
> frustrated over the years. I hope that you don't get burnt out.

No, I really want to see better docs. I've known before, that it will take a lot
of energy to make better docs happen.

> The other option is that Cocoon entirely circumvents this whole
> publishing process and has a fully dynamic website, i.e. no static docs.
> A convincing proposal would need to be put to infrastructure@a.o
> and, like the holdups with me needing to do demos on untrusted brutus,
> you need to wait for the virtual servers to be available.

The best solution IMO ... as the online-editing sceanrio will take some time
until it is ready to use. But having a virtual server is a strong argument for
using Daisy as it could be used without modifications and the next release will
contain "Daisy books" to create offline docs (see
http://cocoondev.org/daisy/future/future.html)

> We really should be talking about this on cocoon-dev so that it can
> be referred to later. Personal discussions are inefficient.

Right, moving the discussion over to cocoon-dev.

                                        web(log): http://www.poetz.cc