cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Giacomo Pati <giac...@otego.com>
Subject Re: Dependencies
Date Tue, 22 Feb 2005 20:30:18 GMT

Mark Lowe wrote:
>>What are the exact reasons you don't like a source
>>distribution?
>

> If I were working on my own then there's not a huge problem, but this
> isn't the case. There are several agencies involved and the usual
> political difficulties when changing things like build files and
> versions.  Someone walking into this to do a request fix. but has no
> previous knowledge of the application gets bogged down, having to
> understand that cocoon needs building, the build scripts have grown in
> complication to the point of being unmaintainable.
>
> Being able to have a cocoon based project, define the dependencies in
> the project.xml (or even an ant build file) build your source code and
> webapp resources into a war, would be a huge step in the right
> direction. Its the little things that count.Someone on the original
> thread mentioned the classic ./configure;make with
> ./build.sh;:/cocoon.sh , isn't that the point?

Cocoon has grown beyond the 'it's a framework' status IMHO. It is an
infratructure similar to the Apache HTTPD where you need a well defined
deployment strategy/facility. If you take it as that even Maven users
will find their way through it as we do for nearly two years now with
success (from customers as well as from our developers POV).

One problem is that there isn't one golden way doing project/webapps
with Cocoon. I'm sure if we start a "write down how you do project
management/development with Cocoon in a wiki page" contest we suddenly
will have dozends of ways to do it as most of us have developed their
own way of doing it as the needs are different from group to group. Most
of the people here use Ant others use Maven. Just this allows for
different variations on doing it.

We use a "home grown" Maven plugin developed with the help and visions
of other people here that allows us to have short development cycles
(just save your changes and reload your browser), the ability to build a
Cocoon suited to the needs for the app in development by just executing
a Maven goal, and a way to create a deployment infrastructure project
where our Cocoon apps can be deployed into a well built Cocoon by just
executing Maven. The war deployment way has never worked for us as we
don't have (and don't want) the single app for one Cocoonn instance
similar as we don't do a sigle webapp for a single HTTPD instance.

If once the "real blocks" a reality things might change again but until
than we are quite happy with it.

Giacomo

--
Otego AG                                  Tel:   +41 (0)1  240 00 55
Giacomo Pati, CTO                         Mobile:+41 (0)79 262 21 04