cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <>
Subject Re: [RT] How scripting made me hate java
Date Fri, 18 Feb 2005 12:34:09 GMT
Bart Molenkamp wrote:
> [...]

I did.

> Yes, when making a copy you see a version of the codebase in two
> places in the repository, but it also allows committers to change the
> codebase for the Cocoon specific needs, without interfering with the
> original codebase. And new versions of the original codebase can be
> merged into the copied codebase without losing (if people know what
> they're doing) their changes.

yeah, in theory. In practice, this never happens and you get two
incompatible versions, and it's even worse than forking: because you
find out they are incompatible only 3 years down the road, when somebody
comes up and wants to merge and they can't.

> I am just curious, because I use vendor branches myself for managing my
> changes to the Cocoon codebase (very small changes).

But they pay you to do this, big difference.

View raw message