cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Sylvain Wallez <sylv...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [2.2] Dynamic xconf try to open non-existing files (bug?)
Date Sun, 13 Feb 2005 22:20:12 GMT
Daniel Fagerstrom wrote:

> Reinhard Poetz wrote:
>
>> Daniel Fagerstrom wrote:
>

> <snip/>
>
>> I think your ideas lead into the right direction! Though I think we
>> should agree on a feature freeze *now* and release ASAP.
>

> Although I also would like a stable 2.2 right now ;), I don't think
> that is the way things work.  Now one seem to have the itch to finish
> cForms or VPCs at the moment while Carsten (and others) seem to spend
> considerable energy in improving the core and the configurations.

Having a modularized configuration was really a requirement, as it was -
far more than an unstable cforms - making the configuration of Cocoon a
real pain and I had the (unfortunate) opportunity to meet people that
were considering Cocoon for their projects but ran away when seeing how
complicated it is to configure it.

That's why I added include in xconf, and it seems this answered a need
considering how people are now building around this.

Now about CForms and VPC, I plan to spend some time on it in one week,
while on vacation (that's when I have time for sustained development
effort on Cocoon lately), starting with CForms which seems more
important to me than VPCs, as - from a release POV - stabilizing an
existing feature is better than working on a new one.

> IMO we could start releasing 2.2 when Carsten have achived his current
> goals with the kernel (whatever they might be ;) ) or runs out of steam.
>
> I don't think feature freezing is the right thing to do when we have a
> lot of inertia.
>
> Having said that I would like to do something about the VPCs, but I
> haven't researched the current implementation enough to know if it is
> straight forward or if it requires considerable refactoring of the
> sitemap engine and the environment handling.

I does require a substantial amount of refactoring of the sitemap engine
and environment handling...

Sylvain