cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Reinhard Poetz <reinhard_po...@yahoo.de>
Subject Re: Real blocks - What have we reached so far?
Date Sun, 13 Feb 2005 16:57:36 GMT
Carsten Ziegeler wrote:
> Reinhard Poetz wrote:
>
>> <SNIP/>
>
>  >
> There is one question we have to ask ourselves: what is the target
> release for real blocks? I think we agreed that it is *not* 2.2, so I'm
> not sure if we should introduce the blocks.xml in 2.2. I see the
> potential danger that this is a signal to introduce blocks in 2.2
> already and then this might delay a first release of 2.2 for a long time.

I think so too. The reason why I wrote the mail this afternoon is that I'm a bit
worried that we introduce new contracts, that we might have to change for 2.3.

We should *stop now*, finish cForms and VirtualSitemapComponents and release a
first beta of 2.2.

> So imho we should discuss what we want for 2.2 as a milestone to real
> blocks.
> Of course if someone has plenty of time and is able to implement real
> blocks into 2.2 now, I'm not against it.

IMHO the problem is that it would be very difficult for a single person to
implement all the changes and it would take him a lot of time to figure out
every detail.

>> If we all had time for a three-days-hackaton, things could get very
>> far ... *sick*. Anybody interested in joining the party?
>> (I proposed this about 14 months ago and Stefano convinced me, that it
>> would need more time to find out what we want. Looking at my summary
>> above, I thing that we know it pretty well in the meantime.)
>
> I really liked that idea 14 months ago and I still think it's a good
> one; Even if we don't know every detail of what we want, we can find an
> answer during the "party" - or even later on. So, count me in ;)

So let's release 2.2 as soon as possible and then it's party time :-)

                                        web(log): http://www.poetz.cc