cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Sylvain Wallez <sylv...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [RT] Remove dependencies to XSP
Date Wed, 09 Feb 2005 09:21:43 GMT
Carsten Ziegeler wrote:

> We some blocks that depend on XSP just because they provide some
> logigsheets (session, databases etc.), so as soon as you want to use
> them you *have* to include XSP although you don't use it at all.
>
> We discussed this already, but didn't change anything :(
> I see two solutions:
> 1) either move all xsp related stuff into the xsp block and then the
> xsp block depends on other blocks.

This just moves the problem to the XSP block, as you'll need to include
all blocks that provide XSP features even if you need only one.

> 2) create two blocks for each block that supports xsp: for example a
> databases and a databases-xsp block. Obviously the first one contains
> the block without logigsheets and is free of XSP and the second one
> just contains all the XSP stuff, depends on the databases and the XSP
> block. Et voila.

+1. This adds more blocks, but I can't see another way to cleanly
separate things.

In the particular case of the database block, can't we move all the esql
stuff in the XSP block, as JDBC is a core JDK feature and doesn't
require external libraries?

Sylvain