cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Sylvain Wallez <sylv...@apache.org>
Subject Re: IntelliJ Open Source developer's license
Date Wed, 09 Feb 2005 09:05:25 GMT
Hugo Burm wrote:

>Hello Ralph,
>
>Can you comment on how you debug Cocoon with IDEA (isn't IntelliJ/Jetbrains
>the name of the company?)? Can you set breakpoints and step through  the
>code?
>Just for your reference, this is how I debug a Cocoon block:
>Have to do this one time:
>- Build the whole Cocoon thing with Ant (the default build) and deploy it.
>- Remove the jar of the block from WEB-INF/lib
>- Create an IDEA project, set the src dir to the src dir of the block. Set
>the output dir to WEB-INF/classes.
>And repeat this many times:
>- Modify some code . Add some print statements
>- Compile
>- Restart the container (Tomcat)
>- Test the result in a browser (and check the print statements)
>
>This is brain damaged (debugging source code with print statements while we
>are living in 2005). So any comments on how I can improve this workflow is
>appreciated.

Here's how I do it in Eclipse:

- build the webapp with "build.sh"
- replace CocoonServlet with ParanoidCocoonServlet in
build/webapp/WEB-INF/web.xml
- add a "paranoid-classpath" parameter pointing to a file that contains
    class-dir: build/eclipse/classes
    lib-dir: build/webapp/WEB-INF/lib
- (in 2.1 only) delete cocoon.roles in
build/eclipse/classes/org/apache/cocoon so that the full one in
WEB-INF/lib/cocoon.jar is loaded
- run "cocoon.sh servlet-debug" (or cocoon.bat on windoze)
- connect the Eclipse debugger to the running process
- enjoy breakpoints, code hotswap, etc.

Sylvain