cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Carsten Ziegeler <cziege...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [rant] am I the only one that thinks that our logging defaults are completely bogus?
Date Wed, 09 Feb 2005 08:52:32 GMT
Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
> I don't want to go into a bikeshedding war about logging but *EVERY
> SINGLE TIME* I install a cocoon application I have to completely rewrite
> the logging defaults.
>
> Not tweak or improve: start over! And it's starting to piss me off.
>
> It's insane the amount of crap that gets generated in the logs because
> the {throwable} clauses are all over the place... do we really think its
> useful to know each and every line that was involved in understanding
> that the sitemap didn't know how to process a URL?
>
> You work on your application for a few minutes and you have a megabyte
> of crap: try to understand what's signal and what's noise.
>
> Sure, it's configurable: there is a way to turn all that crap off, but:
>
>  1) logkit has the most unintuitive configuration schema ever imagined.
>
>  2) there is no centralized archive of the default logging channels used
> by the various parts of the system, so even if somebody wanted to do the
> filtering herself, there is no way unless looking into million lines of
> code
>
>  3) some parts of the system (apples! slide!) get put there by default,
> no matter if I turn their blocks on or not.
>
> Configurable is nice, but too much crap is not: it increases the noise
> and reduces the signal.
>
> Now tell me, am I the only one frustrated by this?

3) is solved with 2.2 - in addition, adding new categories, targets or
even factories can be done by just adding a new logging configuration
that is included from the main logkit.xconf - like we do for the
cocoon.xconf. So, if you want to change the logging for the portal
block, go into the WEB-INF/xconf directory and edit the portal.logkit
file.

And you all know my famous rt about changing logging in cocoon....

Ok, let's be more helpfull: actually I don't care about the logkit
configuration. What really bugged me was that changing log levels is way
too hard. So again 2.2 has a solution for this, which might look a
little bit hacky, but is in fact really handy:
You can specify a system property "org.apache.cocoon.override.loglevel"
with the log level you want and all categories defined in the
logkit.xconf use this loglevel. So changing from the default to DEBUG is
just starting Cocoon with the property, and turning everything off is
easy as well.

(2.2 has a lot of new configuration features that I wanted to discuss as
soon as my prototyping is finished)

Carsten

http://www.s-und-n.de
http://www.osoco.org/weblogs/rael/