cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Ralph Goers <Ralph.Go...@dslextreme.com>
Subject Re: IntelliJ Open Source developer's license
Date Wed, 09 Feb 2005 03:38:59 GMT
This can be done fairly easily. I'll outline the steps I use.
1. Create a directory named cocoon.
2. Do "svn co
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/cocoon/branches/BRANCH_2_1_X/". This
will create a BRANCH_2_1_X subdirectory.
3. Build Cocoon.
4. Create an idea project in cocoon/BRANCH_2_1_X. Use that as the source
directory.  You can set the output path to
cocoon/BRANCH_2_1_X/build/cocoon-2.1.7-dev/classes, but I don't thnk it
matters much (I don't ever compile Cocoon in IntelliJ).
5. Open the project settings.
    a. If you have installed and configured subversion then add it as
the source control.
    b. In Paths select the libraries tab.
    c. Click on add jars.
   d.  Select all the jars in lib/core and lib/optional and add them.
   e.  Back under paths mark the build directory as excluded (this
speeds things up a bit). You can also exclude other non-source stuff if
you want.

6. Select Run/Edit Configurations.
    a. Select the Remote tab.
    b. enter a name ("Cocoon" works).
7. export JPDA_OPTS to match the arguments shown in the IntelliJ window.
8. Set some breakpoints.
9. Open the debug window for the "Cocoon" task you just created.
10. Start tomcat using "catalina.sh jpda start".
11. Start the debug task in IntelliJ.

Now everytime you want to debug you only need to do steps 8-11.

This works whether you are running Cocoon in Tomcat, Weblogic or
something else. You just have to make sure the JVM Cocoon runs in has
the remote options that IntelliJ tells you to set.

If you want to be able to build Cocoon inside of IntelliJ you should be
able to set up build.sh as an external task to run.  Another option
would be to modify Cocoon's build to build a module for each block, but
I'll convert the build to use maven before I'd bother with that. Then I
could just do "maven idea:multiproject".

HTH,
Ralph