cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Giacomo Pati <giac...@apache.org>
Subject Re: svn commit: r152673 - in cocoon/branches/BRANCH_2_1_X/src: java/org/apache/cocoon/components/modules/input/ContextPathModule.java webapp/WEB-INF/cocoon.xconf
Date Tue, 08 Feb 2005 18:34:41 GMT

Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
> Giacomo Pati wrote:
>

>> Hello all
>>
>> I'd like to deprecate the RealPathModule in favor of the
>> ContextPathModule as all the RealPathModule can do is doable with the
>> ContextPathModule (but not 100% backward compatible) but the
>> ContextPathModule fits better in the Cocoon machinery as described in
>> my commit/javadocs.
>>
>> Any suggestions/opinions?
>

> Can you give us an example of why this is needed? I'm not sure I fully
> get it from your log comment.

Ok, Suppose the following:

Your Cocoon app is at: /home/stefano/my-app
   It contains a sitemap.xmap, an images directory and a xml2fo.xsl
Your COCOON_HOME is at /home/stefano/cocoon
You have a entry in $COCOON_HOME/mount-table.xml that looks like this:

     <mount src="/home/stefano/my-app/" uri-prefix="fancy/"/>

Suppose your cocoon app produces fancy PDF files with graphics you have
at /home/stefano/my-app/images. The src attribute in fo:external-graphic
for FOP needs absolute paths to the image, so you need a way to pass it
to your FO producing XSL. But how do you supply your XSL with the path
to /home/stefano/my-app/images ?

Usually you pass the path as a parameter in your sitemaps map:transform
element. But with the current RealPathModule:

A {realpath:/} will give you
   -> /home/stefano/cocoon/build/webapp

A {realpath:.} will give you
   -> /home/stefano/cocoon/build/webapp

A {realpath:/fancy} will give you
   -> /home/stefano/cocoon/build/webapp/fancy
which obviously is not what you wanted.

So, the ContextPathModule compared to the above will have
{contextpath:/}        -> /home/stefano/cocoon/build/webapp
{contextpath:.}        -> /home/stefano/my-app
{contextpath:/fancy}   -> /home/stefano/my-app
{contextpath:./images} -> /home/stefano/my-app/images

For development mounting an app outside the COCOON_HOME is very handy.
Just change a xslt and reload to see the result once your app is mounted.

Is this explained enough :-)

--
Giacomo Pati