cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Ralph Goers <Ralph.Go...@dslextreme.com>
Subject Re: [Poll] Portal deployment / Cocoon portal usage
Date Tue, 08 Feb 2005 05:11:15 GMT
Finally getting around to this. See below.

Matthew Langham wrote:

>1. Are you currently using the Cocoon Portal Framework?
>
>A) Yes we are using it for ...
>B) No we are not, but currently considering it
>C) No, we are using commercial alternative xyz
>D) No, we are using Open Source alternative xyz
>E) We don't currently need a portal

A) We have one product that is currently using it and several more in
the pipeline (pun intended).  The portal will most likely become the
framework that we use for all site layout management.

>The following questions only if you are using a portal
>
>2. Why did you choose the specific portal solution you are using?
>
>A) Given IT strategy
>B) Cost
>C) Technology
>D) No real alternative
>E) Don't know
>F) Other reason (please add)

F)  We need  JSR-168 portlets and need to be able to have one webapp
support thousands of  portal configurations.

>The following questions only if you are using the Cocoon Portal framework
>
>3. Why did you choose the Cocoon portal framework?
>
>A) We were already using Cocoon
>B) A strategic decision was made to use Open Source
>C) Becaus of the features of the framework
>D) Don't know
>E) Other reason (please add)

A, C, E) We have been using Cocoon to develop some other products which
have not been completed yet. We suffered trying to use a commercial
portal product for one product and it failed miserably. No others would
support the requirements of an ASP.  Cocoon allows everything, including
the layout definitions, to be dynamically generated and/or located.

>4. What do you think is currently missing from the Portal framework?
>
>A) Tools (which?) or tool support
>B) WSRP support
>C) Better JSR168 integration
>D) Better Documentation
>E) Other (please add)

C, D) The JSR168 support is still not complete. The documentation
definitely needs more information added.

>5. How do you get support for the framework
>
>A) Through the mailing lists
>B) Reading the documentation and other publications
>C) We are Cocoon portal gurus
>D) We get external help
>E) Other (please add)

C) I commit it (or email Carsten!).

>6. Details/Comments (Optional)
>Please feel free to add any details you think may be of interest

I absolutely love the Cocoon Portal.  I'm not completely sold that
putting event ids in the URLs was the right thing to do though. I've had
to back away from that on JSR-168 Portlets and will probably need to do
that for other events as well to get the desired behavior to work.

I also absolutely appreciate the patches and suggestions other Portal
users have been making.

Ralph