cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Sylvain Wallez <sylv...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Version $Id$ style for xml files (Was: SVN behaviour with "Id" keyword)
Date Wed, 02 Feb 2005 13:39:49 GMT
Conal Tuohy wrote:

>What about a processing instruction?
><?version $Id$?>
>
>This has the advantage over a comment that it can be retrieved unambiguously with an XPath
query:
>"processing-instruction('version')"

Question is: do we need that? IMO no, as I don't see valid use cases for
analyzing the version string of an XML document or XSL stylesheet at
runtime in Cocoon.

There has been discussions in the past about including static strings in
java source holding the revision info (i.e. public static final String
SCM_ID="$Id$") so that we can retrieve them with the "what" command, but
that use case doesn't apply to XML files since, contrarily to Java
classes, they are available in source form in a Cocoon distro.

Sylvain