cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Mark Lowe <mel...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Dependencies
Date Tue, 22 Feb 2005 08:46:19 GMT
Using cocoon isn't a particular problem for me personally, I'm used to
working with this stuff and have worked on all tiers of web
applications so I have a pretty good insight into where the problems
lie. The problem is how to you get a web tier type person to digest
this stuff, we know xslt is already a problem in this sense, but
ideally if separation of concerns was a reality web tier folk wouldn't
need to compile from source. We have folk who are usually working on
backend stuff that might recieve a ticket to fix something cocoon
releated, there's no quick way in which they can make an intervention
without getting bogged down in too much detail about the web tier.

I've got the 2.2 checked out, I'd be happy using it just the project
we're working on is between 2-3 parties all of which need to build
against the same version. This moving target, while understandable is
the crux of the problem. In the past I've managed to get projects to
pretty much checkout, perhaps change a db user and pw and build (e.g.
struts-spring-hibernate, maven downloads dependencies, xdoclet tags
are processed and the mapping files generated, schema is generated
from the mapping files, sample data for unit testing and for
presention folk inserted, the thing builds and everyone is away. I
don't know what I would have done if I had to build struts, spring
and/or hibernate during the build, which is the bridge that needs to
be crossed with cocoon.

I am working though the source and trying to get myself to a position
where I can be more useful. But for the time being, you're right in
that I will only be a new user for a short time, in a months time I
want have the same insights I do now. If that sounds sarcastic then I
can only appologise.

Mark