cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Niclas Hedhman <nic...@hedhman.org>
Subject Re: Improved ImageReader [WAS: VG Parameters are deprecated .. ]
Date Tue, 15 Feb 2005 18:33:30 GMT
On Tuesday 15 February 2005 21:51, Stefan Pietschmann wrote:

> Actually my idea was to adjust the image source with different parameters -
> depending on which stylesheet is used for rendering - to something like
> "img src='http://xxx.jpg?width=200&height=50&color=greyscale&format=gif'"
> - for which I'd need an advanced Reader which does the reading, scaling and
> conversion of the format.
> It looks like your effort is pretty darn close to that. Would it be
> possible to combine operations then, like (with your syntax):

Yep, can do reading of various formats, scaling of different ways and even
rotation stuff (but there are unsolved problems with that). And write out to
various formats. By installing the image_io extension you will get more
formats available.

You stack up the operations, and they will be applied in stack order, and each
operation can parameterized in the request, as I do in the samples;

> src="image.png/resize-250-50/greyscale-jpg"

> P.S.: If so, I really hope this will be in 2.2 .. whenever this will be
> released ;)

Well, noone else have showed any interest to take it and put it into the
codebase, so I don't know anything about that.

> P.P.S: I will probably also test it with my 2.1.6 ... any ideas why this
> shouldn't work?

We are using it for a couple of sites, and running on 2.1.6. Only thing is
that you need JDK1.4, so it won't cut it for inclusion in 2.1.x series.

Feel free to use it.

You should know that we have encountered a series of bugs when reading TIFF
files, which doesn't work, and the Java2D-interests mailing list has probably
the worst support I have ever encountered. Noone at Sun have lifted an
eyebrow, other than acknowledge that my supplied simplified testcase should
work. So that is one thing to look out for.

Cheers
Niclas