cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Niclas Hedhman <nic...@hedhman.org>
Subject Re: [rant] am I the only one that thinks that our logging defaults are completely bogus?
Date Wed, 09 Feb 2005 09:39:19 GMT
On Wednesday 09 February 2005 16:51, Sylvain Wallez wrote:
> There's something that must be cleaned up: some of the subclasses of
> CascadingException log the exception and the chained exceptions, when
> JDK since version 1.4 (or 1.3?) does the same itself. So we could reduce
> the amount of redundant and verbose exception information that way.

Also, I have found it useful to make a distinction between a ResourceNotFound
(or a future NoPipelineMatch) as a Warning, as an ordinary Debug message and
as a detailed Debug message;

The Warning is pretty obvious.

The 'ordinary Debug' outputs the top N levels (typically ~5 does it) on the
stack trace, + each of the messages of the nested exceptions.

The 'detailed Debug' is the full stack trace of all the nested ones, which you
typically only need when tracing bugs within the core product (in this case
Cocoon) itself.

My 2 cents worth of "bike-shedding"

Niclas