cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Tim Larson <...@keow.org>
Subject Re: Version $Id$ style for xml files (Was: SVN behaviour with "Id" keyword)
Date Tue, 01 Feb 2005 23:54:38 GMT
On Wed, Feb 02, 2005 at 10:35:03AM +1300, Conal Tuohy wrote:
> > Tim Larson wrote:
> > > As part of my effort to keep whiteboard/forms mergeable,
<snip/>
> > >Could we pick a style, and then I will make the files I
> > >happen to touch match it?
>
> What about a processing instruction?
> <?version $Id$?>
>
> This has the advantage over a comment that it can be retrieved unambiguously with an
XPath query:
> "processing-instruction('version')"

I like the ability to retrieve the Id info...not knowing
much about processing instructions, will this produce
valid processing instructions when the version control
system expands $Id$?  This expands into lots of stuff:
datestamp, filename, submitter, etc.

Also, can this mess up any existing document processing?

--Tim Larson