cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From BURGHARD Éric <eric.burgh...@systheo.com>
Subject xml languages
Date Thu, 20 Jan 2005 14:07:25 GMT
hi everybody,

I'm a little disapointed by all theses xml languages we can found around
which nearly all do the same things.

1) Last time i wanted to construct a project with maven and i found jelly.
it had a rich tag library, handle jexl expressions, and can handle xpath
through tag's libraries. But, as maven users, you all know that.

So my question (naïve), is why not using jelly (jelly generator) instead of
redo the work with jxtemplate. I wonder why using ant mutant anteater too,
because IMHO testing with ant+jelly+junit+http(client) is much more
powerfull (multipart post, upload file, ...). And we could certainly define
a new tag library (macros) and run the anteater scripts "as is" with jelly.

2) I play last time with saxon8 and xpath/xslt2.0. I found that it looks
much more like a programming language than ever (well it's still xml). I
like the simplified stylesheet syntax, which allow you to mix the document
and the stylesheet into one document (like jx).

So is there any plan to add an xslt2.0 generator. Think about a generator
which add some context variables (like $cocoon), or give access to
protocols (like cocoon:/) inside in your template.

these 2 candidates have a bigger audience than jxtemplate.

just some thought