cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Jeremy Quinn <jer...@media.demon.co.uk>
Subject Configuring OJB and HSQLDB
Date Tue, 18 Jan 2005 12:30:13 GMT
Hi All

I have been working on adding the ability to save favourite queries to
HSQLDB using OBJ, to the QueryBean Block in trunk.

While doing this work, several issues arose in the configuration of OJB
in Cocoon.

Sequences:
Even though the
org.apache.ojb.broker.util.sequence.SequenceManagerHighLowImpl was
specified in OJB's repository.xml, it was not possible to use this (via
autoincrement="true") as the Tables that HSQLDB required to track the
sequences were missing from cocoon.db and the mapping for the sequences
(repository_internal.xml) were missing from OJB.

I expect to add both of these during my commit of the new QueryBean
stuff.

Custom Config:
Any block that wants to make use of OJB and HSQLDB has to have extra
configuration added to both the database block (to add the Tables) and
the OJB block (to add the mappings).
At the moment, Tables are created by adding new commands to the
Database Block's 'conf/cocoon.db', and new OJB Mappings are made by
adding them to OJB Block's conf/repository.xml.

This does not seem like a great solution to me.

While it is likely that cocoon.db is not such a big issue, because most
people would probably replace HSQLDB on major projects and therefore
find a better way to populate their RDBMS.

Is it worth looking for a way for Blocks to add their own Table
creating commands to cocoon.db in the Database block?

I think that the situation with OBJ could easily be improved.

OJB typically uses Entities to import multiple repository_*.xml files
into the primary repository.xml file used to declare mappings and
database access. I am using this technique to add (the standard)
'repository_internal.xml' to handle DB Sequences.

I propose that we add an empty "repository_user.xml" file (with
associated Entity-based import) so that that file can act as a standard
target for projects that use OJB to use XConfPatch Task to add their
mappings to OJB. I suspect though that this would require that the
build processes blocks in a predictable order, and I do not know if
that happens.

WDYT ?

regards Jeremy

Life has surface noise