cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Glen Ezkovich <g...@hard-bop.com>
Subject Re: Splitting xconf files step 2: the sitemap
Date Mon, 10 Jan 2005 02:45:26 GMT

On Jan 9, 2005, at 7:21 PM, Mark Lundquist wrote:

>> From: Glen Ezkovich [mailto:glen@hard-bop.com]
>> On Jan 9, 2005, at 4:17 PM, Mark Lundquist wrote:
>>> Do we really want inter-block flowscript function calls?
>>
>> I was wondering about this as well. Is it even necessary in order to
>> use the functions in the first place? If one has a dependency on
>> another blocks flowscript function couldn't one just load the file and
>> use the function as in
>> cocoon.load("resource://org/apache/cocoon/forms/flow/javascript/
>> Form.js"); ? Is there something special about blocks that would
>> prevent
>> the current cocoon methods of accessing resources from working?
>
> Actually, I think there _is_ something special that way...
>
> I don't think your client block will know what file to load... see
> http://wiki.apache.org/cocoon/BlockImplementation

That would be a horrible thing. We are just talking about loading a
file. If Cocoon can't determine where a file inside a block is located
we have a problem. If the client block has a dependency on a particular
javascript function in another block it better know what file it has to
load. If you would like to create a block that could return or call any
randomly desired function then that in and of its self is a block.

 From the wiki section 4:

> The block manager will be queried by all the cocoon internal services
> that need to locate block-dependent stuff, that is:
> the sitemap interpreter: to find out where the blocks sitemaps are
> mounted in the main sitemap URL space.

This should make it possible to load any file including a javascript
file and its functions.

> the block: protocol: to locate the services provided by the blocks

This should make it possible to access any service. In the worse case
block://newBlock/resources/javascriptFile.js should get us the file.

> the component manager: to locate components provided by the blocks
> (either avalon components, sitemap components and VirtualComponents)

This should make it possible to locate and thus use any component.

Maybe I'm dense this evening, but it seems that using a javascript
function in a file contained in another block should not be that
difficult.

Glen Ezkovich
HardBop Consulting
glen at hard-bop.com