cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Glen Ezkovich <g...@hard-bop.com>
Subject Re: Blocks, Flow and Dependencies [was RE: Splitting xconf files step 2: the sitemap]
Date Wed, 12 Jan 2005 19:39:29 GMT
After rereading much of this discussion and the various wiki pages
concerning blocks I withdraw almost everything I said. Its now obvious
to me that the way to achieve everything we are talking about is to
allow for multiple inheritance. I am not recommending this since I have
not thought deeply about its implications yet. Generally, I don't like
multiple inheritance.

The reason I even bring this up is that it seems clear that there are
two different ways we may want to use a block. One way is to just
simply use a block through its sitemap and/or components it exposes.
That is use one of its pipelines, VPCs or components directly from
another block. The other way is to compose an application by combining
several blocks.  By using the extension mechanism you just need to
override default configuration and other resource files to customize
your application. For example we may put an e-commerce app together by
combining authentication, shopping cart, store, shipping and webmail
blocks. Because each of these blocks may have different looks and feels
I may want to make sure that our app has a consistent L&F by overriding
a few resources in each of those blocks. Likewise I may need to alter
the checkout flow and can do so by overriding a single resource.  This
by far will be the easiest way to compose the app out of the various
blocks and does not require hacks to the sitemap or any complex URI
machinations by the developer.

How this for adding fuel to the fire. Ok... now you can tie me to a log
and just toss me on top.

Glen Ezkovich
HardBop Consulting
glen at hard-bop.com