cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From James Chartrand <jchartr...@openskysolutions.ca>
Subject Re: POST XML to cocoon protocol
Date Fri, 28 Jan 2005 00:06:45 GMT
Irv,

We are also interested in a BPEL like approach to combining web
services from within Cocoon, although for a different reason than
yours, and with different requirements.  In our case, the web services
are text analysis tools, provided as SOAP services by various text
analysis researchers.  We are using the Cocoon portal engine as a
central access point to the tools (through SOAP).  The tools are
written in many different programming languages, with many different
native interfaces and installation requirements.  The portal therefore
does away with the need to install, configure, and to some extent,
understand how to interact with the tools.

The portal also acts as a 'workbench' for working with the tools,
allowing the end user to combine text analysis tools in novel ways, to
record the results of their combinations (and thereby effectively
create a 'new' tool that is the combination of other web services -
i.e., dynamically generate BPEL), graph results (actually just another
tool), compare results, and so on.  We therefore need a means to record
new tool combinations (BPEL), and a corresponding means to invoke the
tool combinations.

 From your post, your needs appear somewhat different than ours, but I
mention our project just in case there is some opportunity to work
together, or in case someone else is doing similar work who would like
to collaborate.  The project is led by Dr. Geoffrey Rockwell at
McMaster University in Hamilton, Ontario (Canada) and is called TAPoR
(Text Analysis Portal fOr Research - www.tapor.ca).   Our company, Open
Sky Solutions, has been contracted to build the portal, which is
ultimately to be released as open source.  We also hope to make some
significant contributions to Cocoon along the way.

James
James Chartrand
Open Sky Solutions, Unit 2, 17 Paradise Road South, Hamilton, ON,
Canada, L8S 1S1
905-523-9120    905-523-0768 (fax)
jchartrand@openskysolutions.ca      www.openskysolutions.ca