cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "DURDINA Michal" <michal.durd...@assetsoft.sk>
Subject RE: ANN: [portal] New CachingPortletAdapter
Date Mon, 10 Jan 2005 12:22:38 GMT

I checked Pluto 1.0.1-rc1 (and also trunk) and the result is: pluto portal (/portal) does
not implement caching yet. The portlet.xml expiration-cache element is parsed in PortletDefinitionImpl
but never read (checked with Eclipse -> References). The same is valid for cocoon.

IMHO it is the responsibility of the portal to implement caching not of portlet container.
I think there is nothing to fix in cocoon to enable caching. We have to implement caching
in cocoon and pluto portal (/portal subproject) should implement caching its own way. Caching
implementation involves no changes in pluto container (/container subproject) that the cocoon
is dependent on.

I suggest I can slightly modify the CachingPortletAdapter to adapt for PortletDefinitionImpl.getExpirationCache()
value. Original PortletAdapter can stay untouched and users would have to use new CachingPortletAdapter
to enable caching in their portals. I think it is better to provide caching in the new adapter,
because users that already used PortletAdapter depend on non-caching behaviour (regardless
of <expiration-cache> value in their portlet.xml). WDYT?

I can provide a new patch to bugzilla or only difference to my current patch and I would be
happy if somebody could take a look at it afterwards.

Thank you,
Michal