cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Carsten Ziegeler <cziege...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [RT] input-modules in the sitemap
Date Tue, 01 Feb 2005 07:27:03 GMT
Sylvain Wallez wrote:
> Carsten Ziegeler wrote:

>>> Yeah, but technically speaking, this makes absolutely no difference,
>>> as <include> does nothing but expanding the contents of an xconf
>>> within <map:components>
>>>
>> Yes, I know - so following your road we could just skip the whole
>> cocoon.xconf and put it in the root sitemap :)
>> Components are not used directly in the sitemap (except sitemap
>> components), so we shouldn't start defining them in the sitemap. Of
>> course this is a little bit different with input modules which just
>> has historical reasons that they're in the xconf.
>

> If we restrict ourselves to components "used directly in the sitemap",
> then yes, other component don't fit there.
>
> Now things are different if we consider a sitemap a modularization unit
> in a Cocoon application. Why should we define in the global cocoon.xconf
> e.g. a JDBC datasource that is used only in a particular subsitemap, or
> a business component used in a particular sitemap's flowscript?
>
> A concrete example: imagine an admin tool for a webapp which has write
> access to the user database whereas all other parts of the application
> have read-only access. Allowing the datasource to be defined in the
> admin sitemap cleanly isolates it from the rest of the application. And
> if for some reason we decide that admin should not be possible through
> the web, then just delete the admin directory and you're done, without
> modifying the main xconf.
>
>> I think it's better to move everything out of the sitemap into xconf
>> files that *belong* to the sitemap than the opposite.
>

> I understand your point. Does this mean you would be ok for the
> datasource mentioned above to be declared in an xconf file included by
> the admin sitemap? From my POV this is just a syntax detail and I'm ok
> with moving sitemap-related components (considered as a modularization
> unit) to an xconf file beside the sitemap.

Yes, I think this is a clean solution. I see the need for defining
components "locally" (on a per sitemap base) as well. That's why I
wanted the include feature :) So, I'm +1 for including them from the
sitemap, but -1 for adding them directly in the sitemap.
I know, technically it's the same, but separating them is imho the
cleaner solution.

Carsten